Downloading Jewish Community Library eBooks and Audiobooks to your Smartphone or Tablet Using the Libby App
Android OS Phone or Tablet / iPhone / iPad / ipod Touch / Nook by Samsung Tablet / Windows Phone or Tablet
Before starting, you will need the User ID and password for your Jewish Community Library account. If you do not know your User ID or password, please contact reader services librarian Leah Strauss at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you do not have an account, you can apply online here. You must live in the San Francisco Bay Area to establish an account.
Most of the following instructions represent a one-time procedure. Once you have established your account in Overdrive’s Libby App, the process of accessing the Library’s eBook collection will be automatic.
If you already have and use the Libby App:
Go to “Add a Library” and continue with the instructions below, beginning with number 4.
If you don’t already have the Libby App, start here:
- Search the device’s app store for the free Libby App. Select to Install the app.
- When the download is complete, open the Libby App.
- When you are asked whether you have a Library card, click Yes.
- In the search box beneath the words “you can search for your library by name or branch location, enter “Jewish Community Library,” and, when you receive the results, click on the box called “California Jewish Library Digital Book Consortium.”
- In response to the question “Where do you use your library card?” click on Jewish Community Library.
- You will now be prompted to enter your library account details. Enter your User ID and password and click Sign In.
- You will now be shown your virtual library card. If you plan to add additional accounts to the app later, it is recommended that you rename your account to something identifiable. Click Next.
- You are now in the system and can freely borrow materials.
Using the Libby App to Browse and Borrow:
- If you know the book you’re looking for, you can use the Search for a book option at the top.
- If you’d prefer to browse, tap Explore to the right to see more categories, collections, and search options. After clicking on Subjects, you can scroll down a list of topics in the collection. Narrow your search further by selecting more categories at the top of the Subjects page.
- Once you’ve found an eBook or audiobook that interests you, select Borrow to check it out.
- Click on Open Book to begin reading, and choose whether to read it on a Kindle or on the Libby app. Or if it is an audiobook, click on Open Audiobook to begin listening (Libby contains its own audio reader).
- Titles are by default set to download automatically over Wi-Fi. You can change your download settings by selecting the Libby menu icon in the top right corner, then selecting Set Up Libby and then Change Download Rules.
- You will NOT have overdue fines from a Libby eBook or audiobook. At the end of the lending period, the title will return itself.
- If the book is currently unavailable, there will be an option to Place a hold instead of Borrow. You will be prompted to provide an email address with which to receive Hold notices the first time you place a hold.
- You can view your checked out materials, holds, activities, and tags by toggling from Library to Shelf at the bottom of the screen. You can also return to the Library main page this way as well.
- If you’d like to return a title early (in order to give other patrons a chance to borrow it) or attempt to renew, you can do that by going to Shelf, then Loans, and clicking the small colored square next to the title. In the new menu, select Return Early or Renew Loan. You can also view how many days remain on your loan here.
- If you need to add another account to the device, use the menu icon at the top right and choose See Library Account. From here you can add additional accounts or swap between accounts. To add a card from another library system, use Add a Library instead.
- For additional help, please call the Jewish Community Library at 415-567-3327 ext. 706. If the Library is closed, you may be able to find your answers at http://help.overdrive.com.