Downloading Jewish Community Library eBooks to your Kindle or Kindle App
Kindle / Kindle App / Kindle DX / Kindle Fire / Kindle Fire HD / Kindle Fire HDX / Kindle Paperwhite / Kindle Paperwhite 3G / Kindle Cloud Reader
Before starting, you will need the User ID and password for your Jewish Community Library account. If you do not know your User ID or password, please contact reader services librarian Leah Strauss at email@example.com. If you do not have an account, you can apply online here. You must live in the San Francisco Bay Area to establish an account.
Browsing and Checking Out eBooks
- If you do not have a Kindle Fire, you must use the web browser on your computer, tablet, or smartphone to browse for and check out books.
- In your web browser, open https://californiajewishlibraries.overdrive.com/jewishlibrary-jcl/content/
- Choose Sign in, in the upper right hand corner. Type in or select Jewish Community Library (San Francisco) from the list of libraries.
- Sign in with your User ID and password and click on Sign In.
- To search for a specific title or author, click the magnifying glass at the top of the page and type in your search terms in the box and tap the magnifying glass to the right. Or you can browse the collection by clicking on Subjects in the upper left and choosing your preferred area of interest. You can restrict your browsing to eBooks or audiobooks.
- Click on the book you are interested in, and you will be taken to a page that includes a description and reviews. If you would like to borrow it, click Borrow. You will see a new pop-up window that shows the default borrowing period of 21 days. If you want to reduce it to 7 or 14, you can.
- Click Borrow, and you can now read or listen to that book.
- Next to the book’s cover image, Click on the option to Read now with kindle.
- A new browser window should open — either asking you to log in to your Amazon account or taking you directly to your Amazon library. Log in with your Amazon account information and password.
- Once you have logged into your Amazon account, you will need to select the Kindle device you want the eBook delivered to, on the right side of the screen. Once you have done so, click the yellow GET LIBRARY BOOK button.
- The eBook will be automatically delivered to your Kindle eReader the next time it is connected to WiFi. If it doesn’t appear on your device, open the drop-down menu on your kindle and select Sync.
- You can now read the book as you would read any other book on your kindle.
- If you would like to return the book early, go to the My Account menu at the upper right of the Overdrive page, and choose Loans. Click Read now with Kindle next to the title you’d like to return.
- Below the Read Now button, there is an option to Return It Now. Once you select Return It Now, a window will pop up asking you to confirm. Click OK.
For additional help please call the Jewish Community Library at 415-567-3327 ext. 706. For additional support, try http://help.overdrive.com.