Borrowing Jewish Community Library eBooks and Audiobooks through your Web Browser
Before starting, you will need the User ID and password for your Jewish Community Library account. If you do not know your User ID or password, please contact reader services librarian Leah Strauss at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you do not have an account, you can apply online here. You must live in the San Francisco Bay Area to establish an account.
Browsing and Checking Out eBooks/Audiobooks
- In your web browser, open https://californiajewishlibraries.overdrive.com/jewishlibrary-jcl/content/
- Choose Sign in, in the upper right hand corner. Type in or select Jewish Community Library (San Francisco) from the list of libraries.
- Sign in with your User ID and password and click on Sign In.
- To search for a specific title or author, click the magnifying glass at the top of the page and type in your search terms in the box and tap the magnifying glass to the right. Or you can browse subjects in the collection by clicking on Subjects in the upper left and choosing your preferred area of interest. You can restrict your browsing to eBooks or audiobooks.
- If you don’t see the subject/topic you are looking for, you can try using your own words. Click the magnifying glass at the top of the page and type in the keyword (such as “mysticism” and then tap the magnifying glass to the right.
- Click on the book you are interested in, and you will be taken to a page that includes a description and reviews. If you would like to borrow it, click Borrow. You will see a new pop-up window that shows the default borrowing period of 21 days. If you want to reduce it to 7 or 14, you can. Click Borrow, and you can now read or listen to that book.
- If the book is not available, the button will say Place a Hold. Enter your email address after selecting Place a Hold and you will receive an email when the book is available for you.
- If a title is available to request again (renew), the option will become available within three days of expiration. If somebody else has placed a hold on the item, it will not be available to renew.
- You will not have overdue fines from an eBook.
Enjoying Your eBook or Audiobook
- If you have borrowed an audiobook, click Listen now in browser to listen to it.
- For eBooks, you have three choices:
- Clicking Read now in browser will open the eBook in your web browser.
- Read now with kindle will allow you to read it on a kindle or through the kindle app.
- Download EPUB ebook will download the book in a format that can be read by third-party software and plug-ins like Calibre, Icecream, or Google Chrome EPUBReader.
- When you are finished reading or listening, simply close your web browser. When you log back into your account at https://californiajewishlibraries.overdrive.com, select My Account and then Loans. Choose Read Now or Listen Now, and the book will begin where you left off.
- To read without an Internet connection: For eBooks, click the menu button and select Offline Access, and then follow the instructions. Audiobooks do not let you listen without an Internet connection.
Returning an eBook or Audiobook Early
You are restricted to three items at a time. If you are done with an item, you can return it early, so you can access new materials. To do so, go to My Account at the upper right, and click on Loans. From the Loans page, find the title you want to return and select Return directly below it.
For additional help, please call the Jewish Community Library at 415-567-3327 ext. 706. For additional support, try http://help.overdrive.com.